Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 1995 10:35:48 -0700
From:      Steven Wallace <swallace@ece.uci.edu>
To:        smpatel@wam.umd.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.org, hasty@star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: Whee - I've got my MBONE feed..

>>> On Linux (same VoxWare drivers), this code fragment runs through ok.  On
>>> FreeBSD, the GETBLKSIZE returns 0 causing the Error.
>>>
>>Take a look:
>>*** /usr/src-2.0/sys/i386/include/soundcard.h   Mon Nov 14 06:13:13 1994
>>--- /sys/i386/include/soundcard.h       Wed Mar  8 13:19:01 1995
> old>! #define SNDCTL_DSP_GETBLKSIZE         _IOWR('P', 4, int)
> new>! #define SNDCTL_DSP_GETBLKSIZE         _IOR('P', 4, int)
>
> This was broken on 1995/02/13.
>
>>Perhaps in the kernel sound code, we should have SNDCTL_DSP_GETBLKSIZE
>>accept both _IOWR and _IOR types for backwards broken compatability.
>>What do you guys think?
>
> The old, broken ioctl must be preserved until you are sure that there
> are no applications using it, i.e., "forever".

See, I told you this was the case.  The sound driver is not broken,
just compatability.  I think we should back out this change and leave
it as _IOWR instead of _IOR so everybody doesn't think the sound code
is broken and blame me (:

I think we should look at v3.0 code, but carefully consider it before
integrating it in the tree.  I think we should wait until after 2.1R
before upgrading to v3.0.  It appears that we do not have people testing
the sound code well enough if it takes them two months to notice this
incompatability issue.

Steven