Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:56:00 -0800
From:      "John M. Purser" <jpurser@wilcofarmers.com>
To:        "'dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk'" <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>, "freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FW: One step forward....

On Friday, March 27, 1998 8:21 AM, Duncan Barclay
[SMTP:dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk] wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Hope you -newbies don't mind me (been around FreeBSD a few years)
> helping out?
>

> I still slap my forhead which those "Oh, that's easy" about once a
> day!
>

> I think that the /usr/src/ports/... is a typo. Usually /usr/src is
> where the source code to FreeBSD lives, and /usr/ports is where the
> ports collection lives. I certainly don't have /usr/src/ports on my
> machine.
>
> Advanced stuff:
> 	All of the code for any part of FreeBSD, be it software,
> 	documentation or the ports is kept in a source code control system
> 	called CVS (try man cvs or info cvs). There are three main
> 	collections: the FreeBSD source under /usr/src which is FreeBSD;
> 	the ports under /usr/ports; and the documentation under /usr/doc.
> 	What you see in a release is a version of the code taken from the
> 	CVS "reposistory". Sometimes people get confused about where
> 	the source appears to live in a release tree (I do, I'm not sure
> 	if the documentation source appears under /usr/doc!), because
> 	CVS allows you to keep the copy you are working on anywhere
> 	you like.
>

> This is a probably a shell/command line problem. You are not using
> the "Bourne" shell (man sh) but using the "C" Shell, the syntax is
> different. I would guess that the book talks about these somewhere?
>

> The ports collection is a means to get software not specifically
> written for FreeBSD to run under FreeBSD. In order for the process to
> start it needs some source code or orignal distribution material. In
> this case the port goes looking for
> 	/usr/ports/distfiles/linux_lib-2.4.tgz
> then
> 	/cdrom/ports/distfiles/linux_lib-2.4.tgz
> then tries to ftp it from the original site and then
> falls back to ftp.freebsd.org.
>
> If you didn't have the ports CDROM mounted on /cdrom or a network
> connection things will fail.
>

> Check out the PPP tutorial on www.freebsd.org, it is very good.
>

> Duncan

Duncan,

Mind?  Hell no bud!  If you've got the patience and have worked out these thing
before then speak up!  I plan to get a lot out of this mail list by admitting
when I'm having problems and posting the answers/solutions/resources I come up
with.  I hope to speed other newbies through there learning curve and I'm
depending on them to do the same for me!

Thanks for the tips about the ports.  I've got 4 CDs at home and I've only used
one so far.  Maybe if I played around with them some?  Hopefully by Saturday
afternoon I'll be able to connect to the FreeBSD sites via Internet through my
FreeBSD machine.

I thought I was using a variant of the Borne shell.  It's the default one from
FreeBSD.  I can't recall what my env printout looks like but I'll check when I
get home.

I printed out the Pedantic PPP tutorial and it's the only reason I've gotten as
far as I have.  I really like it as wish there were more subjects covered in
the straight forward style used there.  I want to know all the nitty gritty
details (reading the networking section of the manual for the second time) but
since I've never seen this stuff in action before taking the theory and
creating the reality is a bit of a challenge right now!

Once again, good to hear from you and thanks for the advice.

John Purser