Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:14:06 +1000
From:      Greg Black <freebsd@mail.gbch.net>
To:        shildreth@allantgroup.com
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org, Marco DeMarco <marco_demarco@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Screen Resolution

On 2006-11-09, Scott T. Hildreth wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 23:20 -0500, Marco DeMarco wrote:
>>    I'm very new to FreeBSD or to any UNIX/Linux environment. My company
>>    is starting to look at it so I wanted to get a head start and use one
>>    of my old PC's to install and learn to use it.  I have been able to
>>    install FreesBSD 6.1 - I also downloaded Xorg and finally Gnome 2.12.3
>>    - This is on a Pentium III 933 MHz 284 Mg RAM.  The PC is a Dell
>>    Dimension 4100 and the monitor is a Dell M781s.  I can't get the
>>    screen resolution better than 640x480 - but the Monitor manuals state
>>    that it can handle better.
>>    [1]http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/688en/en/index.htm
>
>      It can handle better.  Did you run xorgcfg?  This is a graphical
>      X config, it will help you set up your xorg.conf correctly.  Read
>      more here,
>
>      http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

Just be aware that xorgcfg really sucks when it doesn't work.  I
have a bunch of monitors of various ages and types (including
very new TFT units), and xorgcfg makes incorrect decisions about
all of them usually resulting in a blank screen as the monitor
refuses to process the stuff that is being thrown at it.

At this point, unless you can ssh in from another box, you're in
deep shit in terms of getting control of things again.  So don't
use it unless you feel safe with that.

In my case, I use xorgconfig which requires a bit more knowledge
but at least doesn't try to drive your screen to suicide.

Greg