Date:      30 Apr 2001 14:22:38 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What happened to 4.2-Stable via cvsup?

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 10:32:37AM +0400, dotslash wrote:
> > I installed 4.2-Release from CD and wanting it to be 4.2-Stable I did a
> > cvsup (tag=RELENG_4) for the sources and was suprised to see after booting
> > that I have 4.3-RC now.
> >
> > What happened to 4.2-Stable?  I thought that for those who want to follow
> > STABLE via cvsup this is the way to go.
>
> See the FAQ.

You'd think that would be a useful answer, but it's not. I've searched
(for cvsup and relen) in the installation, hardware compatibility,
troubleshooting, commercial applications, user applications, kernel
configuration, system administration and misc. questions sections of
the faq so far, and I haven't found an answer. And searching through
my list archives gets me 'see the faq'! Bah. Why bother archiving the
list then ?

Looking at the handbook, I see the following :

tag=RELENG_4

The line of development for FreeBSD-4.X, also known as FreeBSD-STABLE.

If this is not the case, then handbook should be updated. Tell me who
to submit the fix to, the format for the submission (sgml I assume),
and what the correct answer is, and I'll do it.

Now that I am done ranting, could anyone please tell me what the tag
line should be to ensure that my servers stay on stable and don't
accidentally get moved to a BETA or RC next time I am upgrading to fix
something like ipf.

Thanks,

--
- Wayne Pascoe