Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:33:57 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TLB miss handler for alpha running FreeBSD-4.0

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Mohit Aron wrote:

> Hi,
> 	as I understand it, TLB misses on the alpha are handled by the
> software (as opposed to x86 where they are handled in hardware). Can someone
> help me with the FreeBSD code. I'm trying to locate the kernel code that
> implements the TLB handler. I'd appreciate if someone can tell me how the
> control is given to the software (i.e. what trap is generated), how the
> handler is called and finally how does the control return back. Thanks,

TLB misses are handled by the PALcode on the alpha (which is often part of
the firmware). There is no trap handler in the FreeBSD code which needs to
handle TLB misses as the PALcode deals with it transparently.

PALcode is 'special' software which runs at a higher privilege level than
the kernel and handles low-level traps, interrupts, etc., translating them
into a standard form for the kernel's consumption. If a later processor
revision needs different handling for low-level issues, it will use a
different PALcode but will generally present the same interface to the
kernel.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com