Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:41:52 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Jim <jameso@omaha.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSNBC article

* Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> [000211 17:29] wrote:
> > * Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no> [000209 09:38] wrote:
> > >
> > > It's not a vulnerability, it's a DoS. A little worse than a simple
> > > flooder, but not much. MSNBC's explanation of how it works is
> > > incorrect, too - what confuses the router is the destination address
> > > on the ACK packet (since the packet it ACKs has a random source
> > > address). There is no argument between the router and the server about
> > > what's happening.
> >
> > Can you guys check the story again?
> > I get pushed to: http://www.msnbc.com/msn/367495.asp
> >
> > I can't find 'BSD' or 'cooper' anywhere on the page, and hints? :)
>
> I took him to task on technical grounds in private email; this may
> have had something to do with it.
>
> That's the beauty of the web -- "We have always been at war with
> the East -- look at our news archives...".

This is really cool, just recently another article was pulled
entirely because of technical inaccuracy, see todays slashdot.

I'm pretty impressed that new services are acting repsonsibly, the
only problem is that it's being done in 'overwrite mode' instead
of issueing errata in re previous incorrect statements.

Is it really ok to post something sensational and wrong without
really issuing a retraction explaining the technical innacuracy
of claims made?

-Alfred