Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 20:03:58 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        mwhite@oakwood.k12.oh.us (Matt White)
Cc:        jonny@jonny.eng.br, jdp@polstra.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Correct Way to Refresh Source Tree?

#define quoting(Matt White)
// >Are doing a "make all" or a "make buildworld" ?
//
// I was doing "make depend" at that point.  Last night I got it working. I
// had installed DES a long time ago when I installed ssh and sshd, so I
// knew that actually was installed on my machine.
//
// I had to copy des.h into /usr/include. I don't remember where it was off
// the top of my head... I *DO* wish I knew how my /usr/include got messed
// up... =\

That's what I thought.  Doing a make all, make depend, or something
like that directly in the source root does not always work, because
you may not have the required dependencies installed into your
system.

A "make world", or "make buildworld" solves this problem by creating
a sub-tree with all the dependencies, and compiles from there.  That's
called "bootstrapping".

The more your host system is older than the "new" system, the more
chances you have of having problems.  Even "make world" has some
problems in upgrading system.  One very commom I had some time ago
was the lack of the "network" group, needed for ppp to install.

Conclusion: If you are not pretty sure of what you are doing, don't
use any arguments to make in /usr/src other than: world, buildworld
and installworld.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro