Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:35:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The eventual fate of BLOCK devices.

This is my last set of words on this subject...

> >> I have some comments on Poul's comments, and would at least like
> >> to argue for a "legacy mode", even if it is not enabled by default,
> >> so long as it can be enabled (and implied) without a kernel recompile
> >> (but perhaps requiring a kernel module), for standards compliance
> >> reasons, if no other.
> >
> >I have mentionned before, and I will mention again, that if a standard
> >disk layer is implemented, then it would be quite easy to implement
> >a block buffered interface to the raw disks, purely within the disk layer.
>
> But why bother, if nobody needs it ?

I think this is an invalid assumption.  It is needed in order to
comply with POSIX, if for no other reason.

The idea that, if someone can't think of a use for something, and
another person can, but that use is not seen as valid by the
original someone, is a Very Bad Precedent.  BSD is a research OS,
and a research OS _must_ not, by its nature, limit the directions
of future work.  But even a research OS should be prepared to at
least have a seperate mode in which it complies with standards.

I would like to suggest that someone contact John Dyson, so that
he can tell us how the FreeBSD Oracle port operates, and whether
it needs block devices.  I know that the IBCS2 emulation under
which Sybase can run on FreeBSD _does_ need this.

I also believe that Solaris emulation requires this for their
packaging tools to operate properly under emulation.

I would argue that people need the functionality.  But even were
you to prove that people didn't need the functionality now, given
a willingness to bloat large amounts of user space code in order
to cope with the lack of a traditional kernel service, you will
not be able to prove that the functionality won't be needed at
some future point.

> >>     5) Programs that have to deal with CDROM's containing multiple
> >>        sessions.
> >>
> >> This is an issues, since not all data is 2048 byte blocks, but
> >> can in fact be 2352, or a physical sector size of 2048, 2336, or
> >> 2340 bytes.  This will only get more complicated as DVD and other
> >> standards evolve and come online.
>
> This is not an issue, since the app needs to know what it is doing
> anyway.

This would be the provenance of a filesystem, not an application,
in my example.

The reasoning behind this is to present, as files, raw audio and
DVD data to a variety of applications which would *NOT* need to
have the knowledge of the data format, other than as a linear
array of bytes.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---