Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:39:17 -0800
From:      Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman@ecx.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MySQL Problems - Still Rebooting

Please please please take the time to look at this problem.

I'm running MySQL 3.23.36 on FreeBSD 4.2. The only application that connects
and manipulates MySQL is a single PHP application running on PHP 4.0.3.

I've eliminated all the errors I can think of and tried to optimize all
queries. CPU usage never goes about 10-20% tops.

However, MySQL continues to restart randomly and I cannot detect a pattern.
And each time it restarts, it appears as though it doesn't close the socket
or something. If I run netstat on my machine, I see this near the bottom:

Address  Type   Recv-Q Send-Q    Inode     Conn     Refs  Nextref Addr
d56998c0 stream      0      0 d5a12d40        0        0        0
/tmp/mysql.sock
d5888680 stream      0      0 d5695900        0        0        0
/var/run/ndc
d5920f40 stream      0      0        0        0        0        0
/tmp/mysql.sock
d5699e80 stream      0      0        0        0        0        0
/tmp/mysql.sock
d5888f80 stream      0      0        0        0        0        0
/tmp/mysql.sock
d5699880 stream      0      0        0        0        0        0
/tmp/mysql.sock
d5920e00 stream      0      0        0        0        0        0
/tmp/mysql.sock
d5920340 stream      0      0        0        0        0        0
/tmp/mysql.sock
d5699280 stream      0      0        0        0        0        0
/tmp/mysql.sock
d5888280 stream      0      0        0        0        0        0
/tmp/mysql.sock
d5920b40 stream      0      0        0        0        0        0
/tmp/mysql.sock

That list of mysql.sock entries continues to grow slowly until I start
getting errors about sockets. I can't JUST shut down MySQL and start it up
again - the sockets stay there. I have to reboot the whole server to make
the socket entries go away.

There are no specific errors in the error log file - only "mysql got signal
11" and it says something about checking the backtrace but it doesn't give
me the actual backtrace data - just a message saying that I should check it.

The binary logs don't hold any clues either. There's no pattern in the last
queries before or beginning queries after the mySQL server restarts. They
change each time.

Help help help help help.

- Jonathan