Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 17:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        "Andrew N. Edmond" <edmond@shaman.lycaeum.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WWW Search Engine?

> On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Andrew N. Edmond wrote:
> > significantly improved software design-wise.  Harvest is a convoluted
> > mess... are there other search engine options for FreeBSD?

I'll grant you that there is a substantial learning curve with Harvest
but it's hardly a mess, and it works great once you have it setup
properly.

Our gatherers have about 500MB of index using Glimpse, so we're
,conservatively, indexing 5GB, probably closer to 10GB.  1-2 second
response times on 64M P90.

I suggest spending another day or two sorting Harvest out.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                    714 443 4172
 DPC Systems                                                  dan@dpcsys.com