Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:53:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@boostworks.com>
To:        gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk
Cc:        dmobrien@lucent.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, ejc@bazzle.com
Subject:   Re: SB Vibra16x, no sound (fbsd 4.1 release)

On 10 Apr, Cameron Grant wrote:
>> What is probably happening is that Creative Labs uses either AC97
>> standard mixers or private ones (unfortunetly the card keeps the SB16 or
>> Vibra brand name). Check your card and look for a small chip (like
>> 'CT-1297') or any other propritary mixer. If this is the case, trash
>> your card. This thing is not supported.
>
> dude, not to be rude but you're smoking seriously bad crack.
>
> firstly, the vibra16x is isa and predates ac97.  secondly, all of the cards
> i'm aware of that have a codec seperate from the controller chips are ac97
> with the exception of two very rare ones which will be supported if anyone
> ever contributes a card for development.
>
> you are clearly misinformed.  please refrain from telling people to trash
> their hardware.  in future, refer to
> http://people.freebsd.org/~cg/chips.html for information.

I appreciate your willing to make our stupid users life a little
easier. Tell me where I can send you a "perfectly standard SB16/PCI"
sample featuring a "perfectly-compatible-AC'97 CT1297-TAT".

Not to be rude but:

1) I have two exact sample of this "SB16/PCI" card. One working (have
an AC'97 marked chip), one not working (the CT1297 featured one). This
is the _only_ difference between the cards.

2) Syndrom is the exact same as described by Dan

3) I spent one day shouting and getting machines up and down, dooming to
hell FBSD 3.X and 4.X sound modules, drivers, writers (My apologizes to
all, at last), sound card makers (shame on you, guys), Nad, cable
makers, jack makers, etc.... until i find this little difference.

4) I'm astounded to see no mention of this in any lists. Only: "Hey,
this card doesn't works !!" and "No problems here".

Sorry if i felt that someone could be helped, in the future, by this
information. I can feel how difficult it can be maintaining drivers
with hardware that change once a week.

(Or... hum.... wait... Hey! It's a conspiracy... Device Writers are
teaming with card makers to.... Argh...no!.... no!..) ;).

RN.
IeM

PS: Thanks for the chips link.