Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:15:07 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brent Bloxam <brentb@beanfield.com>
Subject:   Re: Multiple instances of MySQL

On Thursday 09 April 2009 21:43:36 Brent Bloxam wrote:
> Mel Flynn wrote:
> > Any reason a jail can't be used? This would allow sharing the binary
> > using null or union fs, little overhead, yet seperated from host install
> > and no maintenance of port installed files, like rc.d/mysql-server.
>
> Unionfs, unix sockets and flush operations don't like each other from
> what I know, so make sure your database directory and socket aren't
> going to be located on a unionfs mount and you should be okay. Someone
> feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I definitely haven't
> been able to get MySQL to play nice with unionfs

Haven't tried. It makes no sense to me to union/null fs /var and /tmp. Just
/usr/local to share binaries or /usr in case you also want to share OS
binaries, but for a dedicated jail, the gain of that is minimal (OS upgrade
doesn't require an extra installworld with jail DESTDIR, but mergemaster still
needs to be done and requires most operator attention).
--
Mel