Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 11:11:29 PST
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        "Rodney C. Forbes" <urcf@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a couple questions regarding a CDROM changer.

> I installed a Nakamichi 7 disk CD-ROM changer last night to my
> FreeBSD-2.1.0-RELEASE system.  I had to add the following two blocks to
> scsiconf.c.  Maybe some kind soul would commit them so that any future
> owners of this device won't have to figure it out..
>
>         /* Nakamichi 7 disk CD-ROM changer */
>         {
>                 T_READONLY, T_REMOV, "NRC", "MBR-7" ,"*",
>                 "cd", SC_MORE_LUS
>         },
>
>         /* Nakamichi 7 disk CD-ROM changer */
>         {
>                 T_READONLY, T_REMOV, "NRC", "MBR-7"
>                     ,"any", "cd", SC_MORE_LUS
>         },

Can someone explain this to me a little more?  I just bought a NEC 7 disk
changer (is it the same as the nakamichi? -- the Linux autoprobes
say something like NRC/MBR-7..

> 3. How can I read the CD-ROM's label?  When mounted under DOS, all drives
> 	(including CD-ROM's) have labels.  For instance, the FreeBSD-2.1.0
> 	beta CD when mounted under dos says something like "FREEBSD-2.1.0".
> 	How can I get this info?
>
> --

I wrote a little program which does an open on the device, an lseek and a
read...the label is a some fixed offset...I did this by inspection...

You just need permission to read the raw device (or the program has to be
setuid...)

Are there any programs to manipulate/figure out the CDs in changers?

--
marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com