Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 01:04:40 -0500
From:      Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fibre Channel Controller [ LONG RESPONSE ]

> The switch configuration *can* work (it's early days for the code I put
> in), but all that really does is join together multiple loops such that if
> I query the Fabric name server and get list of disks back, I can 'map'
> them to loop ID's such that the Qlogic knows they're not on the local
> loop. This picture looks like, e.g.:

  Actually I mentioned the switch because as far as I know you can
configure it in such a way that the host will never see disks that it's
not intended for.  That should isolate the hosts from each other even if
FC id's go in and out?  It is analogous to VLAN on ethernet.

  We will probably look into that again soon.  We need [HW] RAID on a
handful of machines and I would rather spend the money on a couple of good
storage arrays instead of buying one for each machine.  NFS is out for
our environment.

  Would you happen to have a host-independent (stand-alone) FC RAID
controller that you can recommend?

  Thanks!

  Tim