Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:00:35 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU software (was: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction)

At 10:20 AM 7/22/98 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

>OK, I suppose we need to ask the question "Why support at all?".
>There are some signs that the FSF are going down the tubes, quite
>possibly as a result of rms's attitude, but definitely also because
>they're not the only kid on the block any more.  It would be fair to
>ask "what have they done recently?".  Nonetheless, I think an donation
>is appropriate as long as we use their stuff, even if their main
>contribution nowadays may be maintaining the source trees.

It's not "their stuff." Others contributed all but a miniscule part of the
time and effort.

What's certain is that they will use the money to promote GPL'ed software
AT THE EXPENSE OF efforts like FreeBSD.

Worse still, the speakers at the event (including Jordan and Brian) were
snookered. They weren't informed that there would be an admission charge or
that it would go entirely to a group that does not support, and in many
cases actively opposes, what they do because it doesn't fall under the
Holy GPL.

--Brett