Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:19:48 -0700
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
To:        "freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org" <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   YMF744B-R waveplay problem

Hi,

I have a toshiba tecra 8100 laptop, with a YMF744B-R sound chipset.

With gracious help from others on this mail list, I successfully
ported the 5.x driver support for this chip to my 4.0 setup.

I thought it was working great, but now I see the following:

Playback of Microsoft RIFF, WAVE audio data, 16 bit, mono 16000 Hz
results in barely recognizable static.

The same data plays fine on other boxes (even if originally captured
on the laptop).

I have other wave files that are 8 bit, mono 11025 Hz, and they play
fine on the laptop. I tried converting my 'bad' samples to this
format using sox:

	sox 16khz.wav -r 11025 -b -u 8khz.wav

Then the 8khz.wav doesn't play back at all on the laptop, and plays
back with ok, but with static on other boxes. (The same sox command
produces a slightly cleaner output file if run on a different
box and then played back (huh?!). But still plays as nothing if
played on the laptop.)

Any ideas/clues/help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
k.
--
Ken Marx, kmarx@bigshed.com
Look, it is a given that we will maximize our opportunities and our resources