Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 96 18:24:13 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gateway Solo with ATAPI CD-ROM: How to install?

> You'll notice the pamphlet is the 2.1R version with a sticky label over
> it.  The 2.2 SNAP has the ATAPI code in the normal boot image.

Hmmm. If that's so, it didn't recognize the drive.

> Sounds like it's just a total loser of a unit 8(

Actually, it runs rather well. I'm out to cure its biggest bug: the fact
that it shipped with Windows '95 preinstalled. ;-)

> What brand is the CDrom, and how is it supposedly connected?

It's a Panasonic/Matsushita, and it's on the primary IDE interface
together with the 1.2 GB hard disk.

> You're going to have to figure out why the CD isn't behaving as expected,
> which will basically mean sitting down with the source and the ATAPI spec
> and trying to visualise how the buggers who designed it could have
> misinterpreted or shortcut the spec (or find the bug in the ATAPI code)
> such that yours isn't probed.

Could it be that it won't probe for it on the same interface as the hard
drive?

> As for the '562, I can't say; check the Nomad stuff and see if they
> reckon they have it working...

Where would I find the "Nomad stuff?" (No quips about oases, please.... ;-)

--Brett