Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:00:50 GMT
From:      des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/71392: 5.3-Beta2 crash

The following reply was made to PR i386/71392; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To: db <db@traceroute.dk>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:00:04 +0200

 db <db@traceroute.dk> writes:
 > On Monday 27 September 2004 15:37, you wrote:
 > >  1) "No buffers busy after final sync" is not a bug.  You should get
 > >     that message every time you shut down.
 > I didn't write "No buffers busy after final sync", someone at FreeBSD did.

 Sorry, I'll correct the synopsis.

 > What have I learned from the above? Well, most users would think
 > "hm, nobody cares, I gonna stop writing bug reports", but I decided
 > it give it another try.

 You're right, most developers don't care about PRs filed against
 -CURRENT.  I assume that you read the freebsd-current mailing list,
 and that you reported your problems there?

 > > In closing, the panic you get when trying to power your system off is
 > > mostly likely related to ACPI - either a bug in the ACPI code, or
 > > (more likely) a bug in your system's DSDT.  Try booting with ACPI
 > > disabled.
 > Maybe a stupid question, but how? I found

 Select "Boot FreeBSD with ACPI disabled" in the boot menu.

 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dacpi&sektion=3D4 and it says:
 > "To disable the acpi driver completely, set the kernel environment
 > variable hint.acpi.0.disabled to 1", but I haven't got that one.
 >
 > I got:
 > [list of sysctl variables]

 man device.hints
 man loader.conf