Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 19:46:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Jacobowitz  <drow@chwest.org>
To:        Derrick Baumer <bduk@wave.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw between kernel versions

You aren't missing anything, but none of those are really an issue.  You
do occasionally need to update 'config', but unless a serious bug crops up
in make or gcc there is no need to upgrade them.  The kernel itself builds
independently of all libraries and all standard header files; pretty much
all source it needs is in /usr/src/sys.