Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 22:57:01 +0100
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MPEG Video and realplay

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:00:55PM +0200, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> > > MPEG and SMIL would be nice.
> >
> > Works fine for me.  Install the audio/linux-realplayer
> > port.  Checkout /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer8/mimeinstall.sh to
> > see which mime types are handled by it.
>
> Got some rp8.something.bin from the www.real.com site. Couldnt find a
> package. I dont have the port collection installed.
> Anyway: No MPEG *Video* sofar.
> Even if the files have the extension *.mpg, a must for
> MPEG Video with the Realplayer on Windows.

MPEG video for realplayer used to be handled by a pluggin from
bitcasting (www.bitcasting.com), this was originally only available in
windows (and was very good). They have however been bought by EMC.
I don't know how this impacted on producing the pluggin for other
platforms.

Reals own MPEG used to only stretch to audio.

--
GeoffB