Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 1995 20:14:53 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mi@cs.bu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISPs and other commercial interests, please read! [was Re: T1]

>In article <3tu6q6$num@news.bu.edu>, Mikhail Teterin <mi@cs.bu.edu> wrote:
>>Is there a support for T1 in FreeBSD? Are there any
>>commercial drivers ported? Thanks for ANY hint!
>
>There's the Cronyx/Sigma sync ppp card, but I'm not sure what its
>top end speed is..  I don't believe that we have anything currently
>capable of doing T1 right out of a FreeBSD box.
>
>That said, I have 2 ARNET SYNC/570i cards here - one two port and one
>four port - and they'll do up to 5Mb/sec.  All I'm lacking is a driver!
>The main chip that needs to be dealt with here appears to be the Hitachi
>HD64570, so if anyone out there has prior programming experience with this
>then I'm definitely interested in hearing from you!

Jordan,

Now you know that we have dual port T1 cards, PPP sync and Frame Relay
software for FreeBSD, so why are you saying such  things? More than 150 ISPs
(most with more than 1 card) are currenty using them (although most are
using the virtually identical product on BSD/OS). Many of the BSD/OS
customers are starting to use FreeBSD instead now that there is an
alternative. We're marketing "corporate gateways" which are router/web
servers and several large companies have inquired about marketing ISP
servers using our cards.

The problem with selling comm is that you won't sell much without real
support. Most ISPs don't know about serial line protocols, or frame relay
and some don't even know much about UNIX. E-mail doesn't cut it because when
your server is down and you have customers calling you on the phone, you
can't wait for the guy in Australia who wrote the driver to wake up and read
his mail. Thats what people pay for. We charge a lot for our cards, but like
they say, you get what you pay for. BSDI has their own software, and when
someone who's used their product buys ours, they thank us for the
documentation, the flexibilty and features of the product, and for being
there at 7PM to argue with some banana at PAC Bell who doesn't have a clue
how to confgure a frame relay switch even though its his/her job.

You can frown upon the commercial marketplace, or upon companies that want
to protect their six-figure investments by not releasing source code, but
the only way you'll get into the real market is if commercial companies
market products using FreeBSD. You've been ignoring our product since the
day we announced it, when I offered you 2 cards for FREE and you
declined....meanwhile we're selling them as fast as we can build them.

BTW, the Hitachi HD64570 is a mediocre (this is, or course, an opinion)
processor that can "clock" at 5mbs but you'll have trouble filling a T1
stream with it. We use the SGS MK5025 and MK50H25 processors, which are the
processors used by the largest router companies in their high end routers.
The MK50H25 @25MHz can fill 10Mb/s with single flag separation full duplex.

dennis