Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:57:21 +0200
From:      Andreas Rudisch <"cyb."@gmx.net>
To:        W C <woodycarey@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VIA M1000 mini-itx system installation woes - WRITE_DMA error - cabling?

--=-qJHMGBMPLAafeCfZ+xDz

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 14:31 -0700, W C wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I am attempting to install 5.3-R from cd (iso image download)  and=20
> sysinstall is failing
> to write the chosen (Auto Layout) filesystem to disk, the Toshiba 80G on =
the=20
> primary ide channel as master.   The error on vty1 is (from memory) ad0:=20
> WRITE_DMA, error=3D84.
> The drive is detected by BIOS as a UDMA100 device.  There is nothing else=
 on=20
> this IDE channel, and only a cd drive on the other IDE slot.
>=20
> A search of -questions reveals this error is a UDMA mismatch, possible=20
> caused by 80-pin cabling, and fixable with atacontrol ad0 udma33 pio bla =
bla=20
> bla.  However, I do not yet have a running system to run atacontrol from,=
 as=20
> I am installing.  I have rooted around in the bios for an option to force=
=20
> the drive to UDMA33 speed, to no avail.  Does anyone know how I can work=20
> around this problem and  install FreeBSD to this neat little system?  Do =
I=20
> have bad cabling, a bad drive, or ???
>=20
> Thanks for any follow-up questions, pointers, rants, RTFM's, etc.
>=20
> Woody

I was installing FreeBSD 5.3-Release on an VIA EPIA M10000 a while ago
and I has no problems at all. My harddisk was a Fujitsu MHT2040AT
UDMA-100 2.5", so your problem could be cable or harddisk related. Maybe
you have a spare disk/cable at hand to test it.

Good luck,
Andreas

--=20
GnuPG key  : 0xD25FCC81  |  http://cyb.websimplex.de/pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: D182 6F22 7EEC DD4C 0F6E  564C 691B 0372 D25F CC81

--=-qJHMGBMPLAafeCfZ+xDz

--=-qJHMGBMPLAafeCfZ+xDz--