Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:50 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I get >100 connections in FIN_WAIT_2 state from the same IP?

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Martin Turgeon wrote:
>> I would like to know if anyone knows the reason why I get a lot of
>> connections (more than 100) from the same IP in FIN_WAIT_2 state.
>
> That IP is probably running a web proxy or possibly some kind of
> spider.  It could also be malicious, trying to exploit webserver
> vulnerabilities, etc-- search your logs for that IP and see what it is
> doing.
>
>> In this case the connections are on port 80. Is it a problem with the
>> client's browser or OS? Is it possible that some mobile devices
>> doesn't
>> close their connections correctly to save bandwidth and battery?
>
> Yes, it's not uncommon for various platforms to simply drop
> connections rather than closing them properly.  You can run tcpdrop to
> forcibly get rid of them, but they should time out within a few
> minutes anyway.  If you believe the remote IP is being abusive,
> consider firewalling it....

This is also common from the differences in TCP/IP stacks across various
platforms. Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc are all slightly different in this
regard.

If you're running a web server you can set the following in /etc/sysctl.conf
in an attempt to mitigate. Don't know if the timeout period can be altered.

net.inet.tcp.fast_finwait2_recycle=1

This won't stop it from happening but it will trim the pool down some.

-Mike