Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:09:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Storms of Perfection <ancient@outloud.org>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Advanced tuning advice

> Yes, but every time I've seen those brought up, the high-level hackers
> here say "Don't do that."  :)
>
> If we could get a definitive answer on acceptable flags, I'll put it
> in the FAQ.

Basically (although I'm not a "high-level hacker") what I've gathered is
that -O optimization above -O (without a numbeR) isn't supported because
there are known bugs in gcc opts above -O (and it's questionable whether
or not they actually improve performance). Also, I know in a lot of cases
the -march opts don't really do much either. In some cases doing
-march=pentium actually produces faster code on current systems than doing
-march=pentiumpro (or -march=i686, these are the same thing). So basically
my recommendation is that no matter what you hear from linux people (just
saw an article on slashdot, and the guy said he compiled the whole gentoo
linux system with -march=i686, which really doesn't increase performance
much ) say about these opts, they don't really help.

Ken