Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 23:12:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD have a problem with some AMD processors?

It seems Glenn Johnson wrote:
> I have had this exact problem.  I have an Epox 8KTA board with a
> 1GHz Athlon (Thunderbird) with 256MB of PC-133 memory.  I would
> consistently get random errors, usually during a compilation, using
> the default BIOS settings.  After fiddling with some of the BIOS
> options, such as enabling PCI burst, the system runs pretty stable.
> However, occasionally I will get that freeze that you refer to during a
> buildworld.  As far as I can tell though if I set the memory clock to
> 100MHz the problem goes away completely, or at least I have not observed
> it happen yet.

I have a 8kta3+ here that has problems with some of the PC133 512Mb
modules I got cheaply earlier this year, the problem was solved when
I swithed of "page mode" in the BIOS, it then runs 100% stable even
overclocked at 145Mhz and CAS2 which the modules shouldn't even support.

> It is really hard for me to say if this is FreeBSD specific because I do
> not tend to stress the system much when I have Linux running.  My wife
> has an identical system running Windows 98SE and she has no problems
> but I know that I have installed software from Epox that specifically
> addresses some issues with the VIA chipset so that may be why.

From what I can tell the newest Epox BIOS for the 8kta3 does *not*
install the 686b fix when it doesn't detect a SBLive! sound card,
nice but not good enough :/

-Søren