Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 22:15:34 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: date/time display in Net.Messenger

Hi all,

I'm still struggling with this one.

> I've checked the archives (query was "netscape and messenger and time"
> and variants with "date" and "linux" added) and no real joy. I'm sure
> it's something stupid I've (not) done.
>
> FreeBSD V3.3-Release, Linux compatability (linux_base-5.2) and
> Netscape
> Communicator 4.61 - Linux variant. Dual boot with Win95 (rarely used,
> but there anyway) and as such the RTC is set to local time (Australian
> Eastern) with adjkerntz running.
>
> My problem: Netscape Messenger keeps telling the time of the mail
> messages as UTC, rather than local. I _can_ cope with this, but it's a
> little disconcerting.
>
> What do I need to tell Netscape to not use the (adjusted) kernel-time,
> but rather the local time? (as 'date' does, quite nicely) Do I need to
> declare an environment variable at Netscape startup to tell it it is
> at
> 10 (well 11 as we are still on DST) hours ahead of UTC ?

I figured that it wasn't 'Netscape' as such, but rather the Linux
environment that I needed to "tell" what the TZ was. So after some
searching through some RH Linux docs, I tried a soft link from
/usr/compat/linux/etc/localtime to
/usr/compat/linux/usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Sydney (being my time
zone) and restarted the linux environment (# kldunload linux; linux)
then restarted NetComm. {sigh} No joy.

I'm sure _someone_ here has come across this (and solved it)???

Would I be better to post to the 'emulation' list?

Regards,

Harry