Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:42:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@BSDIMP.COM>
To:        antab@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Atmel at91sam9261-ek support.

In message: <00675D70-A3F9-412F-BDB9-F9CF8C91D75A@freebsd.org>
            Arnar Mar Sig <antab@freebsd.org> writes:
: >>> As you can see in the diff I work for the moment on a
: >>> define way to separate the two soc code that differ. But I
: >>> think that in the future a .c for each soc should appear.
: >>
: >> What about using hints more for device wiring instead of .c code
: >> like i did
: >> for avr32?
: >>
: >
: > Yes here we can use hints to factorise a lot of code like
: > a big part of the code where  the #ifdef AT91SAM9261 are.
: > But  like M. Warner Losh said I think that one needs a .c
: > by SoC to  put  the cpu_devs structure, the pmap_devmap
: > structure and the errata code. We need to put this in a specific
: > files because these code are dependant of the SoC.
: cpu_devs can be in hints, but i dont know about pmap_devmap. on avr32
: all devices registers can be addressed without mmu lookups.

All of this hand wringing is because we've boguslly collapsed the core
support, the SoC support and the board support into one file.  We have
to move away from that model and properly layer things to move
forward.  The means by which we load this or that thing isn't going to
matter so much until we adopt this better structure.

Warner