Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:39:35 -0700
From:      Matthew Reimer <mreimer@vpop.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        3d@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nvidia binary drivers

Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> On  3 Apr, Matthew Reimer wrote:
>
> > The nvidia driver that's part of XF86 4.0.x (nv_drv.o) works fine for
> > 2D, but it doesn't do 3D/DRI/Xv. The only way to get hardware
> > acceleration is to use utah-glx with XF 3.3.6, or to use nvidia_drv.o
> > (not nv_drv.o) + nvidia's kernel module.
>
> Does nvidia_drv.o really _requieres_ the kernel module to put
> _something_ on the screen (do you have tried it yourself)?
> I didn't have the PI description about the architecture here, but if I
> remember correctly there are two ways to put 3D on the screen. A way
> which uses DMA and a way without DMA.

I'm pretty sure. If I recall correctly, Nvidia's driver (nvidia_drv.o)
doesn't use DRI, but instead uses their own kind of DRI through their
kernel module.

Mark Vojkovich <mvojkovich@nvidia.com> would probably be the best person
to ask about this, since he maintains both nv_drv.o (XF86) and
nvidia_drv.o (Nvidia's driver).

Matt