Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:02:05 +0200
From:      CZUCZY Gergely <gergely.czuczy@harmless.hu>
To:        Mohacsi Janos <mohacsi@niif.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pf (+ relayd?) as lvs replacement

--Sig_/RYLq+W9ijaeM4BUTW=G3_XQ

Adding IPv6 support to a project like this is usually a trivial thing
to do, nothing special. IMHO the cause of the lack of this feature in
many projects is the lack of requirement. Nobody tells the developers
that IPv6 support is needed. So, not a big deal.

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:06:21 +0200 (CEST)
Mohacsi Janos <mohacsi@niif.hu> wrote:

>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, CZUCZY Gergely wrote:
>=20
> > Hello,
> >
> > A somewhat similar can be achived using relayd, but this kind of
> > load balancing shouldn't be done on L2/L3 level. This kind of load
> > balancing should be done on Layer7 with some application level load
> > balancers. That way you can also do more then this (like sanitizing
> > the requests before they get to the actual servers).
> >
> > Some projects exists out there to do this, like pound[1], or also
> > nginx has some features for this propose, and even apache2.2 is
> > being extended into this direction.
>=20
> Most of these projects don't have IPv6 support, whil pf has IPv6
> support builtin. We are using pf for load balancing HTTP for more
> than a years now, successfully.
>=20
> Best Regards,
>=20
>=20
> Janos Mohacsi
> Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and
> Projects NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
> Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882
>=20

--=20

Sincerely,

Gergely CZUCZY,