Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:52:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tree tagging put off by ~12 hours.

[ On Tue, July 21, 1998 at 08:30:41 (-0700), Satoshi Asami wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Tree tagging put off by ~12 hours.
>
>  * Any feedback on the cause of these hangs?
>
> No idea.  By the way, the one yesterday was during a parallel compile
> (my modem got disconnected at about the same time, but I don't think
> it's related).

I had my 2.2-stable system (cvsup'ed July 9) go wonky this morning with
something that was quite freaky:

Jul 21 11:17:02 brain /kernel: vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware) error, PID 28251 failure
Jul 21 11:17:33 brain last message repeated 33859 times
Jul 21 11:18:42 brain last message repeated 85337 times
Jul 21 11:19:13 brain last message repeated 37131 times
Jul 21 11:19:39 brain last message repeated 31988 times
Jul 21 11:20:09 brain last message repeated 36535 times
Jul 21 11:20:14 brain last message repeated 6173 times

That process was my window manager.  By the time of the last entry above
I had managed to switch to the real console and kill it.  Then another
process started complaining similarly.  Finally I killed them all off
and decided to reboot the system and give it a power cycle.  It's been
running fine since.

Unfortunately I do not (yet) have ECC memory in this box, so perhaps it
was a hardware failure, but I'm beginning to suspect that something
nasty has been tickled in the kernel since the March 31 cvsup which I
was running up until the day before yesterday.

BTW, does anyone have a *bad* ECC DIMM?  I'd love to do some testing....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>