Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:07:49 -0500
From:      "Charlie" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Jonas Bulow <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.1 on IBM Thinkpad T20

> I installed freebsd 4.1 on a IBM Thinkpad T20. What happens is that the
> computer won't boot at all, not even from floppy or CD-rom. It is not
> even possible to enter the bios setup.

> If I remove the hardrive, then it is possible to boot from floppy/cd-rom
> and it is possible to get into the bios setup.

It sounds like your Thinkpad's BIOS is getting hung up when it tries
to communicate with your hard disk.  Perhaps there is a problem
with the controller on the disk?  At any rate, IBM machines are
constantly churning a 16-bit hex number in the top right-hand
corner during POST for instances just like this.  In the event your
machine does something bizarre before POST completes, an IBM
tech can look at that number and tell you where it's crapping out,
and what you need to do to fix it.  If you can't find a number for
IBM, let me know, as my company is an IBM business partner.

Cheers,
-Charlie