Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:49:59 GMT
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        bdrewery@FreeBSD.org, gerald@pfeifer.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is it a good idea to overwrite GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION= in Mk/bsd.gcc.mk?

	From gerald@pfeifer.com Mon Mar 18 00:32:16 2013

	On Sat, 16 Mar 2013, Bryan Drewery wrote:
	>>> So I wonder if there are any side effects or unexpected
	>>> effects if I just change GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION= to e.g. 4.7?
	> I don't think this is working as expected. See also ports/177017 which I
	> believe is a bsd.gcc.mk issue and not a pkgng or portmaster issue. My
	> understanding is that this user want
	>
	> When I change GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION to 4.7, it now depends on the gcc47
	> package, but still is using lang/gcc:

	You're right!

	In addition to setting GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION to 4.7, one also needs
	to adjust the following in Mk/bsd.gcc.mk:

	  .   if ${_USE_GCC} == ${GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION}
	  _GCC_PORT:=             gcc
	  .   else
	  _GCC_PORT:=             gcc${V}
	  .   endif

	The most correct way of doing this would be replacing the first line by
	  .   if ${_USE_GCC} == 4.6
	That should then do the right thing; or you could just remove everything
	except for
	  _GCC_PORT:=             gcc${V}
	Either should work.

	(I'd love to update GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION to 4.7 one of these days; is
	the cluster sufficiently recovered for a test run?)

	Gerald

Hi Gerald

I've now run ia64 with the above change for over 2 weeks,
mostly rebuilding ports, etc.
I didn't see any issues with gcc47.
So, from my very limited testing,
gcc47 can be made default.

Also, I saw that gcc48 is released.
Do you have any plans to make gcc49 port?

Anton