Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 2015 06:30:47 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        john.haraden@yahoo.com
Cc:        "john.haraden--- via freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Burning DVDs

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 21:18:23 -0700, john.haraden--- via freebsd-questions wrote:
> (1) I am running FreeBSD 10.2 with
> crdtools-3.00_2 and
> dvd+rw-tools-7.1_1
> (2) I can mount and read previously burned CDs and DVDs.
> (3) However, I cannot mount a blank cd or a blank dvd.

Of course not. A blank CD or DVD media does not contain a file system,
therefore it cannot be mounted. In order to create a file system, use
the appropriate tool (cdrecord, cdrdao, growisofs). Afterwards, you
can mount the (usually finished) media like any previously burned CD
or DVD. On optical media, usually "cd9660" (typically with the RockRidge
extension) is being used, but UDF is also becoming more and more popular.
Basically, you can create any file system type (for example UFS) on
optical media, or use no file system at all (write data as-is, for
example tar archives).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany