Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 95 04:09:32 EST
From:      jay@map.com (Roland Jay Roberts)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        eblood@winky.reno.nv.us
Subject:   Re: Kernel compilation problem

On Tue, 19 Dec 1995 09:07:06 -0800 you wrote:

>In message <199512191210.OAA02466@hornet.netac.co.za>you write:
>>> #device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
>
>I thought a software emulation could be dropped in its place in the
>case of people on 386s without math coprocessors.

Whether or not you use software emulation, the above device must be
present.  It is the kernel's link to either a math coprocessor or the
software emulation.  The software emulation option (which is a page or
two above the npx0 device line in my 2.0.5R kernel config file) is the
only thing that can be considered optional.

And I noticed that in a previous post, someone with a PENTIUM had
commented out the above line.  I suggest that a comment line be placed
above the 'device npx0' line to the effect of "DO NOT DELETE OR
COMMENT OUT THIS LINE"

// Roland Jay Roberts  -  Team OS/2  -   |  ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
// Internet: jay@map.com                 |       |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
// FidoNet: Roland Roberts @ 1:321/305.5 |      '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)