Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 20:49:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk, schilling@fokus.gmd.de
Cc:        farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrecord, freebsd and atapi cd-writers

>From ben@scientia.demon.co.uk Mon May  8 19:07:15 2000

>schilling@fokus.gmd.de wrote:

>> FreeBSD does not support ATAPI drives. The drivers are not integrated into
>> the SCSI kernel subsystem....

>so the scripts under /usr/share/examples/atapi don't work?  I've never

I do't know. At least they don't mention cdrecord.

>tried them (my CDR is on a FreeBSD 4 box) but always assumed they did
>work.  If you just mean that cdrecord does not work with ATAPI drives on
>FreeBSD then may I ask that you do not spread misleading FUD, please?

Cdrecord supports ATAPI drives if the OS supports them. I as the author
of cdrecord have no influence on OS design.

ATAPI is SCSI commands sent over IDE transport. The natural way of implementing
this transport is to add a IDE specific hostadapter driver to the SCSI
subsystem. If the authors of an OS decide to implement ATAPI in a different
way, cdrecord will not work for ATAPI drives on this OS.

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling