Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:16:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'll be rolling a 4.1.1 release on September 25th

On 17 Sep, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

= That would be  nice, but in my experience I've  just submitted patches
= to gnats and eventually someone would notice.

"Eventually" is the keyword here. The  event may not be happening for so
long, the  patches become unapplicable.  I remember reading  about Terry
Lambert's frustration  about this years  ago. As  far as ports  -- well,
maintainer  of a  few ports  myself, I  can testify  about cases  of the
ported software  going to  a new  release before  my port  submission is
looked at.  Sometimes you may  be lucky  and the committer  will upgrade
your port himself.

= I don't have to bug anyone.  The PR's get implemented eventually. Even
= as a maintainer for a few  ports who doesn't have commit privileges, I
= don't find the  process frustrating. I guess I don't  see what all the
= fuss is about.

My current grudge is the two PRs:
	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=20401
and
	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=19659

They   are   preventing  me   from   submitting   the  port   of   Eddie
(www.eddieware.org),  which I  think would  be very  usefull for  people
deploying FreeBSD servers (our main market, is not it?).

	-mi