Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 00:09:45 +0300
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject:   Re: Unix Virus.. Old but Nasty

hahaha
that was the best thing I've read today :-)
thank you Harry, for such a good laugh.
I really needed it, after a tiring day's work.

> Well I hope a few of you get a laugh out of this anecdote.  But I'd
> really really like to have someone explain to me how to setup root
> with a bash shell.  That nasty old csh really does suck.

That is exactly what the purpose of the toor account is, as far as I
know.
If you are daring enough, you can change the shell of root to
/usr/local/bin/bash
and have toor log into that /bin/csh beast.

I always used to leave root's shell to /bin/csh (to keep single user
mode
from bursting into pieces) and change toor's shell to either bash or
ksh.
Thus, I can still do from simple user shells:

        % exec su - toor

and have my superuser bash, without messing around with root's shell.
The rationale behind this is that if you can stand /bin/csh it is a
rather logical
thing to have it as root's shell, since  a lot of old Unix hackers might
be
emotionally attached to the fact, and what else...