Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:08:14 +0200
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
Cc:        koitsu@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, arnaud.houdelette@tzim.net
Subject:   Re: Re: ATI SB600 Sata controler isn't detected as such.

On 12/23/-58 20:59, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> 16.04.08, 19:28, "Arnaud Houdelette" <arnaud.houdelette@tzim.net>:
>
>> Thanks for the info. The jumper may well be in place.
>> Still it doesn't solve the main issue, that is the controler isn't
>> properly recognised.
>
> <ATI (ID=43801002) AHCI controller> - it is ok.
>
> The generic AHCI was added some time ago. So if your
> controller is true AHCI it will be detected in this way.
> And now we don't need to add each new device id in the
> driver.

Andrey, Arnaud,

I'm using a HP 6715b laptop with the same chipset. Unfortunately there's
no "enable AHCI" option in the BIOS setup and with earlier FreeBSD
versions, the driver identified this chip as plain IDE. I needed to
patch my kernel with a patch provided by Coleman Kane. With recent
versions (new ATA code in 7-STABLE) I don't need that ata patch anymore
and the kernel identifies this correctly as AHCI compliant out of the
box but the hardware has another problem:

ACPI reports a wrong address for the pcm device so it overlaps with
memory resources of the sata chip. Using a patch also provided by
Coleman, the resources of the pcm device are remapped to free the
address space of the sata controller. I'm wondering if this is the same
or similar problem with the MSI system?

A `devinfo -rv' may show this.

Anyway, these lines raises the suggestion to look out for a BIOS update:
> ACPI APIC Table: <090307 APIC1050>
> acpi0: reservation of fee00000, 1000 (3) failed
> acpi0: reservation of ffb80000, 80000 (3) failed
> acpi0: reservation of fff00000, 100000 (3) failed
> acpi0: reservation of 0, a0000 (3) failed
> acpi0: reservation of 100000, 1df00000 (3) failed
> ACPI HPET table warning: Sequence is non-zero (2)

Volker