Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:54:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        robmel@innotts.co.uk (Robin Melville)
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "The competition"

> I'm not sure that you're not missing the point. There is a difference between
simple "informative" advertising (our widgets do this, that and the other thing)
, and product "sensitivity". The advert for Red Hat which started this strand wa
s the latter. The only thing it said about Linux is that you get the source, but
 it was posed in such a way as to sensitise hacker types to the freedom and cont
rol that Linux supposedly gives them, and the key message was that "you are one
of us, we understand you -- come join us".

Absolutely, but what target market do we want?  13 year olds in front of
Pentiums, or the server role in ISP's and corporate America?  Traditionally
FreeBSD has been marketed at the server role, and I think thats where we want
it.  Linux is for Play, FreeBSD is for Work.  (course it plays just as well
too).

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich