Date:      Wed, 19 May 2010 16:03:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Amaru Netapshaak <postfix_amaru@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0/i386 to 8.0/amd64 - gmirror/gstripe migration

No one has any idea?  :(

++AMARU

________________________________
From: Amaru Netapshaak <postfix_amaru@yahoo.com>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sent: Wed, May 19, 2010 9:33:14 AM
Subject: 7.0/i386 to 8.0/amd64 - gmirror/gstripe migration

Hi!

I am planning to move from 7.0-REL-i386 to 8.0-REL-amd64
in the near future.  My OS drive is a single
ata-133 80gb drive, and
my data drives are four 1.5TB SATA drives.  6TB total, configured as 2x
3TB
'gstripe' volumes, and I am using gmirror to mirror those
gstripe volumes.  I hope that makes sense.

In any case, I'd like
to just unplug the drives, do my upgrade, plug the drives back in, and
startup the
array as I have in 7.0.    I'm planning to just do a
fresh install of 8.0 on a new SATA 80GB drive and
make that my new OS drive.

Does anyone foresee any serious problems with this
plan?  I know doing a whole version upgrade can
sometimes introduce
bugs when dealing with old setups, so I just want to cover my bases prior to the work.

I am backing up this system to another
system, so if I end up losing the data or having to rebuild the
array, that's fine, it just sucks having to copy the 2TB of data over the wire afterward.

Thanks for your help!

++AMARU