Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 19:48:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/7680: New port of tn5250

Satoshi, you and I must be on the same wavelength. Though I had different
categories in mind. Honestly, net can be divided into main topics based on
who uses them. (mind you this is just food for thought)..

	(1) userland programs (bitchx irc ncftp*...)
	(2) sysadmin programs (sniffit ntop mrt...)
		note: most of these are sysadmin simply because they use
		bpf0.
	(3) daemons (proftpd wide-dhcp socks5...)
	and maybe...
	(4) libraries

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * I'd look for it in net, too. But that's just me.
>
> Um, just because you use it to connect over the net doesn't mean it
> should be in net. ;)
>
> Speaking of "net", it's pretty big now.  Maybe we can break it up.
> I'm not sure how though.  The only things that jump out to my
> (untrained eyes) are irc and ftp stuff.  The "news" category actually
> belongs here too, so how about something like
>
> net-irc: bitchx icb irc ircII ircd-hybrid-5 ircii-epic kirc sirc tkirc zircon
> net-ftp: cftp ftpfind ftpsearch ftptool lftp llnlxftp moxftp ncftp
>          ncftp2 ncftp3 proftpd wu-ftpd yale-tftpd
> net-news: everything in news now
>
> I can tell there are some MUD stuff too, but I'm not sure how many.
>
> Satoshi (who didn't realize until now that "zircon" matches "*irc*" ;)

- bill fumerola [root/billf]@chc-chimes.com - computer horizons corp -
-  ph:(800)252.2421 x128 / bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - BF1560  -

	"Logic, like whiskey, loses its beneficial effect
	when taken in too large quantities" -Lord Dunsany