Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 11:01:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why so many ways to stay in sync?

   Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 11:34:30 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>

   No, not at all.  Ctm is for folks that want to stay updated via mail, and
   sup is for users with direct net connectivity.

I don't buy that.  I have systems at varying bandwidth links
and ctm is categorically superior for my own purposes on all systems.

   Ctm is somewhat more
   limited in that you can only get updates for certain defined file
   collections, that are having ctm scripts run on them.  Sup can be
   configured to build more selective collections (you can customize what
   file collections you want).

Yes, this I buy.  To obsolete sup, it is necessary to make the grain
size of ctm adaptable.

   With sup, you can wipe out portions of your archive, sup will see that,
   and rebuild it for you.  Ctm won't do that, if you wipe some of it out,
   you have to start from scratch and rebuild it all.

CVS client/server will do that, though.  (As does ctm of cvs if you
are willing to pay the cost of keeping a local repository.)

   Sup compares what you
   have with what its trying to maintain, and rebuilds intelligently,

CVS client/server will do this too.

   but
   ctm is a one way street, with no feedback on what you need, just on
   changing what you have.

   Ctm is more conservative, and sends diffs, while sup sends whole files.
   As you can see, they are different, they serve different audiences.

I understand now, thank you.  My interest is that ctm seems to have
potential to supplant sup.  Now I see that this would require
substantial enhancement to ctm.

//alk