Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 18:38:46 -0700
From:      Noah Pratt <npratt@mail.com>
To:        EinreinM@hurlburt.af.mil
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configuring a modem

EinreinM@hurlburt.af.mil wrote:

> How do I get my PnP modem to work in FreeBSD so that I may then use PPP in
> the KDE environment? I tried using minicom but got errors saying using
> default configuration file, unable to find device.
>
> I purchased an inexpensive emachine and installed FreeBSD 3.1 on it,
From this alone, I can pretty much guarantee that you wound up with a Lucent
chipset, PCI "Winmodem." I've seen far too many of these things than is
healthy. These particular modems are even less expensive than 33.6Kb/s "real"
modems, and are therefore the only types ever included in complete systems
now. Even top-of-the-line, brand-name computer systems that ship with
brand-name 3COM/USR modems have the Winmodem version. I recommend you throw
it out the nearest MSWindow.

-Noah