Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 01:34:55 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: talk (fwd)

> The PC532 was an amazing development, you just don't see open hardware
> like that anymore.  IIRC, the PC523 grew out the 'net station' project,
> were a bunch of hardware and software hackers on USENET were soliciting
> attempts to make a new workstation architecture developed entired on
> the net.

Yeah, the way I heard it, Dave Rand and George Scolaro really really
first and foremost wanted to use the machine as a UUCP feed master,
which is why there are 10 serial ports on the motherboard of the
PC532. :-)

That machine was also responsible for teaching me Minix (where my sole
contribution was a kernel task which ponged the 8 LEDs on the I/O port
back and forth rather than simply run in the idle loop :) and really
introducing me to the internals of forth.  A friend and I ported an
8086 interpreter for fig-forth to ns32k assembly in one weekend
(including all the disk and console I/O) and that's also probably the
most fun I've ever had writing in assembly - the NS32K has a truly
elegant instruction set that makes such programming enjoyable.

I still have fond visions of getting NetBSD up on mine again and using
it as a fancy console/modem/dialin server.  Seems a shame to have all
those nice serial ports go to waste. :)

> We had the serial console, SCSI, and ethernet working and were able to
> load code over the network using the AMD boot monitor, and were working
> on the 4.3 BSD locore.s and task-switch when the PC532 was announced.
> One of the group got a PC532 and everyone just stopped.  It was mildly

That's actually a pity considering that _we_ never got an ethernet
solution working for ours (well, there was the SCSInet stuff, but it
never really came to fruition) and that really limited its subsequent
utility. :(

- Jordan