Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "David J. MacKenzie" <djm@web.us.uu.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/16474: SCSI (AHA-2940UW) CDROM install freezes

The following reply was made to PR i386/16474; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "David J. MacKenzie" <djm@web.us.uu.net>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, stevel@communicom.net,
	djm@web.us.uu.net
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:56:46 -0400

 I just installed 4.0 on a system with an Adaptec 2940U with BIOS v1.23.
 It booted from CD, but BSD's probe didn't detect the CD-ROM drive (cd0),
 even though it found the two SCSI disks on the same controller (da0 and
 da1).  Booting from floppy didn't help.  My workaround was to put the CD
 in another computer (running Linux) and export it via NFS, and install
 over NFS.  I'm using an Epox Athlon motherboard.  Once BSD was
 installed, it found the CD-ROM drive (a Yamaha CRW4416S CD-RW) and I can
 use it without problems (I'm using the generic kernel).

 So, maybe this is a little progress, or maybe my motherboard or Adaptec
 BIOS version just let it get a little farther.

 What happens if you mount the CD under another OS and make floppies from
 floppies/kern.flp and floppies/mfsroot.flp, and boot from them--does it
 still freeze?  Can you remove the SCSI controller and try it, or is it
 integrated into the motherboard?  (You might not have any hard disks at
 that point, but it would show whether the SCSI controller was the reason
 for it freezing up.)