Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:03:14 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Karl Agee <kdagee2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cannot print in kde apps using lp

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 10:45:05AM -0700, Karl Agee wrote:
> I posted about this about a month ago, thought i had
> it it figured out but I guess I fooled myself.
>
> I have kde 3.5.4 installed in fbsd6.1.  I cannot print
> from kde applications, such as the printer control
> module, kpdf, etc.
>
> I can print just_fine from OO.o, Firefox and Adobe
> Reader 7.
>
> The error kde gives me is:
>
> usr/local/bin/lpr -P 'lp' '-#1'
> '/usr/local/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps' :
> execution failed with message:
> /usr/local/bin/lpr: Connection refused
>
> I do have cups installed but it is not running or
> enabled.
>
> I dont understand why I can print from non-kde apps
> but not from kde apps.

The problem is the `lpr' that KDE is invoking. It's using it's own
internal version that requires CUPS to be running. I don't like
CUPS, so I recompiled the whole of KDE making sure that x11/kdelibs3
had the flag -DWITHOUT_CUPS. With this flag, KDE runs /usr/bin/lpr
instead.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>