Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:34:16 +0200
From:      Jalle <defacto@home.se>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Success story!

Hey!
Since not much is happening on this list (other than messages that should
be addressed to freebsd-questions:) I thougth Id send some encouraging stuff!

Im a semi-newbie to FreeBSD, and have been using it full-time for a couple
of months now. I've successfully installed and run several applications and
done some other cool stuff, but mostly everyday work. Anything out of the
ordinary has resulted in an hour's googling or asking The List.

Now Ma & Pa is going on vacation in Europe, and they decided to invest in a
digital camera, a Pentax of some sort, very nice thingamabob. Of course,
the technically talented offspring (me) had to try fiddling around with it
for a while, taking pictures of everything in sight! Very amusing!

Now, doing stuff like installing new disks, addning new hardware,
configuring devices etc, has always forced me to seek information on the
net, cause I've always been totally clueless! This time, installing (or
connecting rather) the camera on FreeBSD was as simple (?!?) as recompiling
the kernel with an extra device, plugging in, mounting it and copying the
pics from the camera! No sweat!

Point is: It may seem overwhelming to throw yourself from the safe world of
Windows into the world of FreeBSD (or UNIX/Linux), but it takes you a few
weeks to get out of the Windows-thinking, and then another few to get into
the UNIX...

Go get yourself a digital camera folks! Not only is it hilarious to take
pictures of your friends embarrass themselves, but you will also get it
working with your beloved FreeBSD without a sweat!

Maybe this should be in advocacy! =o)

Keep it up!

/Jalle