Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 22:03:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@nike.efn.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        d_burr@ix.netcom.com, alan@trickler.uu.silcom.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade - CPU, clock?

On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> John-Mark Gurney stands accused of saying:
> > right now I'm running a i486dx33 at 40mhz... and running 70ns ram at 0w/s
> > if I remeber right... I believe I had to turn of FAST page mode dram
> > though...  but I do have a question... I can get a Cyrix (yes I know..
> > they suck) 80dx2...  could I run the chip at 80mhz (my motherboard
> > supports it) but not double it?  would there be problems with my IDE
>
> You don't understand.  You run a DX2/80 at 40MHz, and it doubles internally.

This is what I thought...  but then why do you have to set some
motherboard, or I should say some motherboard have, jumpers for when you
run dx2 or dx4 proccessors... or is that just for bios recognition??

> > vlbus controller? would my isa bus break?  from what I have heard about
>
> It would look like a DX/40 to your motherboard.  You would most likely
> have to set the >33MHz VLB jumper, which would then run your VLB at 20MHz.

ahh... ok...  this is wierd... I'm not sure I set my motherboard to the
>33mhz but I just reciently moved a jumper on my vl ide card and decresed
the hd delay... and preformance increased... (maybe just the delay
decrease)...

> > the motherboard doing to slow down of the chip on doubled and tripled
> > chips that the cpu is actually rated at the fast mhz but I don't have the
> > technical background to know... thanks for the help...
>
> This is garbled, but basically bogus.

oh well...   thanks for the info..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)

GCS/M/Sd#h+s+!gau-a--w++++vC+++++UF++++P---E---N++W---M--V--Y+t+5++G+b+D++

CD5OUF++++.L-------2W.DM----N.9---NET2SP3s.2,4s.,4d.2,6---