Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:12:32 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

At 5:56 PM -0700 2000/3/16, Brett Glass wrote:

>  Market forces should take care of products of poor quality;

	However, we know for a fact that this simply doesn't happen --
witness Microsoft, the prime example of marketing over substance.
Personally, I consider Linux to be a pretty good example of marketing
over substance, too.

>  they won't sell and will soon be gone. So, if a product is
>  viable and doesn't use the name FreeBSD deceptively (that is, it
>  really has something to do with FreeBSD), why not let it use
>  the name?

	See above.  Your argument is based on a fallacy (that marketing
over substance doesn't exist), and therefore additional controls need
to be in place to ensure that not only is the marketing there (which
I'm sure you would provide), but that the substance is also there
(which is up to the FreeBSD Core Team and the FreeBSD Foundation to
ensure).

	To do otherwise would endanger the long-term health of the
FreeBSD trademark, and the parties involved would not be upholding
their fiduciary responsibilities.

>  So long as WC granted permission for the use of the letters "BSD."
>  (I think that "BSD" is probably a generic term, but who wants to
>  fight in court about that?)

	BSD is not a generic term.  Witness the mention of the fact on
this list that it was trademarked in 1991.