Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:17:17 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PID with a 'D' status - what to do?

Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net> types:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 02:07:12AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net> types:
> > > What is the proper way to deal with a PID having a "D" status - i.e.,
> > > it's uninterruptable - so that I can 'shutdown' cleanly?
> > D is supposed to be a short term wait. If it's waiting on something
> > that's never going to happen, you might as well ignore it and shut
> > down anyway. What's it waiting on?
>
> The pid is an attempt at mounting my CD Changer which my recent posts
> outline. It never does mount. I did a 'shutdown -h now' on a couple of
> these occasions only to have the system hang after the "sync message" on
> exit. The subsequent boot then produced a warning that the system had not
> been shutdown properly. So I was wondering if there was an "I don't care!
> kill this pid" command?

I don't think anyone has ever written such a thing. If "kill -KILL"
doesn't make it go away, it isn't going to go away. Being hung waiting
on broken hardware is a typical cause of such things, and there's not
much that can be done other than getting the hardware fixed.

What's the text of the message about "not shut down properly"? You
might check /var/log/console.log to see if it showed up there.

	<mike